Which college should I apply to
What do you have to do to get one of the coveted study places? How does the application and admission for your studies work? Requirements, deadlines, documents and selection process: You can find all information here!
Before you can start your dream course, you have to go through an application process at every university, technical college, teacher training college or private university. With the help of the application process, the universities ensure that their students are qualified for the respective degree. If there is a large number of applicants, the universities can already make an initial selection. In many studies, the number of participants is limited and not everyone can find a place to study everywhere. The application process helps the universities to make their selection.
Here we explain to you what you have to do in order to win you over with your application and how you can secure the desired study place. We also provide you with all the information you need to submit an unbeatable application to the university or college of your choice.
Every degree requires different requirements from its applicants. Of course, these are to a certain extent related to the chosen field of study. For a medical degree you need different entry criteria than for a sports degree. The same applies to a natural science subject compared to a humanities degree. Basically, one always differentiates between formal requirements, which are absolutely necessary in order to be able to submit the application for the respective degree at the university and personal requirementsthat will help you to successfully master your studies.
The formal requirements always have to do with the educational qualification. There may be differences depending on the university or university of applied sciences, but as a rule you have to bring the following criteria with you:
Requirements for a bachelor's degree
- General university maturity
- Matriculation examination (Matura or equivalent)
- Vocational matriculation examination (depending on the university)
- University entrance examination (depending on the university)
- Completion of at least three years of study at a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution (depending on the university)
Requirements for a master’s degree
- Successfully completed first degree (Bachelor or equivalent), usually in a subject related to the subject
Depending on the university or college and the selected course of study, proof of special language skills (English, but also German) may be required.
Application requirements for foreign students
Foreign applicants must provide evidence of a document equivalent to the Austrian school-leaving certificate or the completion of a degree at a post-secondary educational institution. Furthermore, proof of sufficient knowledge of German is essential. This can be done either with a corresponding proof on the school-leaving certificate or by means of a certificate of a successfully completed language course. If the applicant cannot provide this evidence, there is the option of taking a supplementary examination in German. Here it is checked whether the existing knowledge in spoken and written is sufficient for the desired course of study.
The following also applies to foreign applicants: All documents must be submitted in the original or as a certified copy (copy). Documents written in a foreign language must be submitted in a certified translation.
The application application must be submitted in good time, in compliance with the specified deadlines. In most cases, pre-registration via the Internet is required. The application period at universities usually ends at the beginning of February for the summer semester and at the beginning of September for the winter semester. The application deadlines for universities of applied sciences and private universities as well as universities of teacher education and art universities can be inquired at the respective university. Application forms can usually be downloaded directly from the university's website or requested by post on request.
Applicants at a university of applied sciences must contact the university's course director with their documents and any questions they may have. This also decides on the admission of the applicant to the respective university of applied sciences.
Nowadays it has become the rule to submit the application via an online portal at the university or college. You have to upload a number of documents digitally or, alternatively, send them to an application office by email. Of course, many providers still have the option of sending the application and all the necessary documents in writing, i.e. by post. The way in which you submit your application has no effect on success.
The following documents are usually required for an application:
- Valid passport or proof of citizenship in connection with a valid photo ID
- School-leaving certificate (Matura, university entrance qualification certificate, vocational matriculation examination) or equivalent document
- Proof of suitability (only if required, e.g. admission test)
- Possibly. Certificate from the university last attended
All documents must be submitted in the original or as a certified copy (copy), depending on the university or university of applied sciences. It is best to always find out on the website of the respective university which documents are required and how you can best reach them.
Universities of applied sciences also offer applicants without a school-leaving certificate the opportunity to study. Graduates of a dual training system, a vocational middle school as well as working people who meet the required requirements also have the opportunity to start studying here. The respective university of applied sciences can provide detailed information on the existing admission requirements.
In some studies it can happen that there are more prospective students than free places. In such cases there is a university-specific admission procedure. This consists of one or more requirements that must be met by the prospective students and that help the university to make a selection. The universities and technical colleges always set independently which criteria are expected.
As a rule, the admission procedure consists of one or more parts of the following:
- Admission test
- Interview / job interview (individual interview and / or group interview)
All detailed Information on the admission procedure can be found in our guide!
- How many cups are 75g
- How do you install and play Minecraft
- How is NIFT Hostel in Kolkata
- Why are pliers used as levers
- How can I make a body lotion
- What is the prefix of right
- What is SAP Lumira
- How do I check DMRC subway plans
- What is cotton
- Will changing a hosting server affect search engine optimization
- What does Mazhab mean in Urdu
- Why should we re-elect President Trump?
- What is TCR sequencing
- Why is Accenture wear and tear so high
- How many paid customers does Basecamp have
- What are some rural products of India
- What does economy mean in simple terms
- Can we attend architecture schools after the 10th
- Is the current NHS strike justified?
- Do landlords have to comply with the GDPR
- How can i gamma scalp
- What is zoology 3
- What does a Creative Language Consultant do
- AJAX is dead