What is Doxycycline Hyclate used for treatment
DoxycyclineDrug groupsAntibioticsTetracyclines Doxycycline is a bacteriostatic and anti-inflammatory antibiotic from the group of tetracyclines that is used to treat bacterial infectious diseases, acne and rosacea. The effects are based on the inhibition of bacterial protein synthesis by binding to the 30S subunit of the ribosomes in the bacteria. The tablets are taken while standing or sitting with sufficient water. Other drugs and foods can reduce the absorption of the active ingredient. Common to occasional potential adverse effects include nausea, bleeding disorders, blood in the urine, vomiting, diarrhea, inflammation of the tongue, inflammation of the mouth and throat, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, black hairy tongue, itching, rash, photosensitization and headache.
synonymous: Doxycyclinum, Doxycyclini hyclasPhEur, Doxycyclinhyclat, Doxycyclinum monohydricumPhEur, Doxycycline monohydrateProducts
Doxycycline is available in the form of tablets, capsules and as a solution for injection (Vibramycin®, Vibravenös®, generics). It has been approved in Switzerland since 1972.Structure and properties
Doxycycline (C.22H24N2O8, Mr = 444.4 g / mol) is usually present in drugs as doxycycline hyclate. Some drugs also contain doxycycline monohydrate. It is a yellow, crystalline powder. Doxycycline monohydrate is very difficult in water, whereas doxycycline hyclate is easily soluble. Doxycycline is a derivative of oxytetracycline and has a tetracyclic structure.
Doxycycline (ATC J01AA02) has bacteriostatic properties against gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens. The effects are based on the inhibition of bacterial protein synthesis by binding to the 30S subunit of the ribosomes. The half-life is between 18 and 23 hours. Doxycycline also has anti-inflammatory and anti-parasitic effects and can be used for rosacea and malaria.
Mechanism of action of the tetracyclines, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikiIndications Dosage
According to the specialist information. According to the German technical information, the tablets can be taken during or after a meal. This avoids gastrointestinal disorders. This is also recommended in the USA.
In Switzerland, according to the specialist information, the requirement is to administer the tablets on an empty stomach at least one hour before eating.
They should be taken with sufficient liquid while sitting or standing. Do not take just before going to bed (keep at least an hour away).
If severe stomach problems occur, it can also be taken with a meal or with a glass of milk, but absorption is reduced (approx. 20%).
Strong sun resp. UV radiation should be avoided because the medicine can make the skin more sensitive to the sun.Contraindications
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Other drugs can reduce absorption. These include antacids, iron supplements, certain minerals and trace elements, activated charcoal and cholestyramine. If such drugs are taken, a time interval must be observed. Further interactions can occur (see FI).unwanted effects
Common to occasional potential adverse effects include nausea, bleeding disorders, blood in the urine, vomiting, diarrhea, inflammation of the tongue, mouth and throat infections, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, black hairy tongue, itching, rash, photosensitivity and headache.see also
Tetracyclines, doxycycline used to treat rosaceaChecklist for advising patients
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA)
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Joshi N., Miller D.Q. Doxycycline revisited. Arch Intern Med, 1997, 157 (13), 1421-8 Pubmed
- Sloan B., Scheinfeld N. The use and safety of doxycycline hyclate and other second-generation tetracyclines. Expert Opin Drug Saf, 2008, 7 (5), 571-7 Pubmed
- Smith K., Leyden J.J. Safety of doxycycline and minocycline: a systematic review. Clin Ther, 2005, 27 (9), 1329-42 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on March 30, 2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Are politicians better actors than movie stars
- Is football safer than football
- Can I do a doctorate in machine learning?
- How do you simplify this math equation
- Noam Chomsky Can the caste system be abolished
- Is solar energy environmentally friendly
- Was Camila Cabello in a girl band
- The S P 500 Index is patented
- Fascism and communism are experiencing a resurgence
- Is a beauty operation wrong
- How is the allocated CUDA memory implemented
- Daft Punk always wears their helmets
- Can I find someone's mailbox?
- When will robots start paying taxes?
- Why did you skip a heartbeat today
- How can I compare a PostgreSQL query
- What is the flowability of refractory castings
- Is there a drug problem in California
- How do people stay practical and happy
- Why is Boruto so disrespectful to Naruto
- Is it important to study 7th grade
- What is a yellow card in FIFA
- What are the types of VFD
- What was Google's slogan