Why the screensaver is called screensaver
- ← Screensaver →
- (2007) A screen saver is a program that replaces the current screen content with moving graphics or a black area during work breaks. This does not (or only insignificantly) protect the screen, but at least the screen content is protected from prying eyes. Actually, one should translate “screen saver” with “screen protector”.
(1999) With old monochrome monitors, on which the same application was always used day in, day out, after a few months (and even after a few weeks if the picture was set too brightly) individual elements that almost never changed (for example a constantly displayed menu) can also be recognized in other applications, since the luminous layer at the constantly activated points had changed permanently. The image had, so to speak, "burned" into the luminescent layer.
For monitors that had to be switched on all day, programs were used that deleted the screen content after a while without pressing a button or replaced it with a constantly changing pattern.
It is astonishing that after the monochrome monitors became extinct, screen savers still exist, although very few people have ever seen a color monitor with screen content burned into the luminous layer (poorly maintained ATMs are perhaps an exception).The programs that are now called "screen savers" are, completely contrary to their alleged effect, often computationally intensive graphics demos, which mean that the CPU is kept warm even during work breaks, so that it wears out faster and you have to buy a new PC sooner.
- How many journalists are communists
- Protect firewalls from hackers
- How Wikipedia updates its data
- Which final courses correspond to engineering
- What is meant by element
- Akhand Bharat is just a mythical concept
- Is the ASKET coms business model sustainable
- Is Forex Demos Trading Legal In India?
- What is the moral value of honesty
- Can you walk on clouds
- What's stopping you from being impatient
- Is money a drug
- Has your tattoo ever got infected?
- How can I lie about my personality
- What are the best cruises from Boston
- What books do you read about dermatology
- Gold leaf will adhere to acrylic paint
- Which fruit goes well with grilled chicken?
- Let us face an unemployed future
- What drives you why how
- Jung believed that God was the unconscious
- What's your favorite movie about extraterrestrials
- Who ever thought of music first?
- What is essay properties