How conductive is plastic
Korean scientists succeeded for the first time in producing a polymer in such a way that it behaves like a classic metal even at low temperatures.
Busan (Korea) - Without plastic that conducts electricity well, cheap radio chips, printed circuits and flexible screens are unthinkable. Plastics mixed with metals and polyaniline offer promising conductivity, but lag far behind copper or silver.
"The use of such high-performance semiconducting and metallic polymers for 'plastic electronics' will significantly expand the range of possible applications," said Kwanghee Lee and his colleagues from Pusan National University in Busan. The researchers present their results, which could lead to numerous new products, in the journal "Nature".
While the electrical resistance of plastics used to increase with decreasing temperature, the new polyaniline layers turn this behavior on its head. Just as with a metal, the electrical resistance also drops when the material is cooled to around minus 268 degrees Celsius with liquid helium. At room temperature, the specially structured polyaniline has a conductivity of around 1000 Siemens per centimeter. When cooled, this value more than doubles.
Lee's team sees the reason for this in the improved mobility of the electrons. This was achieved through the optimized manufacturing process. To do this, the researchers distributed the long molecular chains in oily drops in water. When an acid was added, the conductive macromolecules were arranged in extremely thin films in such a way that the electrons could be passed on from chain to chain better and better, even at low temperatures. The new material even showed the reflection behavior of light typical of metals, but only in the infrared range. Although this demonstration of true metallic behavior can be considered a breakthrough for polymer electronics, it also shows the limits of conductive plastics. Even with this optimized production process, the conductivity remains around two orders of magnitude below that of copper.
- What is the best school in Cleveland
- How will blockchain change real estate contracts
- What is a diode transistor logic family
- Mahavatar Babaji is an ascended master
- Why is web development so popular
- Does airsoft hurt more than paintball
- Why can't I fall asleep from fear
- Has Sri Lanka 5G internet
- What is a pumpkin flute
- Is the IQ option legal in the Philippines
- What is the Fuggerei 1
- How does Meetup com monetize
- Can masturbate make a boy grow taller
- Can marijuana help with depression
- Where can I read some scripts
- How does the botox work
- How do salmonella affect humans?
- Is an opinion different from the truth
- Was Jesus well educated
- Why are most creative people neurotic
- How many zoos are there in India
- Can a child join a mason's hut?
- What is Tiki Barber known for?
- What is copy drawing