Which is better LCD or OLED
LCD or OLED? Smartphone displays in comparison
What can LCD displays actually do?
In order to decide whether LCD or OLED, you first need to know what distinguishes the two technologies in the first place. So: what do the three letters LCD actually stand for? For liquid crystal display, in German: liquid crystal display. In the case of LC displays, there are so-called Liquid crystals are used, which together form a layer. This in turn has the properties of both solid and liquid elements. The lighting of an LC display comes from behind. For this purpose, light-emitting diodes, or LEDs for short, are often used in today's smartphone displays. Their emitted light is distributed over a conductor surface. The light is manipulated by electrical signals in such a way that it can be guided more or less well through the display. An additional layer with color filters (red, green, blue) lies over the liquid crystals. Subpixels, each of which contains one of the three aforementioned color filters, together form each individual pixel shown on the display. Electric voltage generates the hue as well as its intensity. It is impossible for the human eye to see the individual pixels and sub-pixels.
Since the Backlight the LCDs cannot be switched off, LC displays are never completely dark during operation. The liquid crystal displays therefore have certain disadvantages when it comes to darker images. Contrasts are not reproduced perfectly - the different structures in dark image or video scenarios are blurred. This means that the advantage of LCD over OLED is clearly in the brightness. With up to 2000 candelas per square meter (cd / m²), an LCD smartphone can shine much brighter than an OLED display (up to 800 cd / m²). When you are outside and the sun is shining, the brightness of a display is of crucial importance: on a display that tends to be darker, there is little that can be seen. Under ideal conditions, a high contrast is around 1: 1000. If it is light outside, for example in good weather, this is only between 1:10 and 1:60. You can then no longer recognize colorful images. So LCD makes perfect sense if you are out and about a lot.
And what exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of OLED technology?
The four letters OLED are the abbreviation for Organic Light Emitting Diode light emitting diode. Unlike LC displays with backlighting, OLED pixels have their own light. No background lighting is therefore necessary any more. The brightness can be adjusted pixel by pixel. If a pixel does not light up, it creates a nice, saturated one, for example black. The consequence is then a higher-contrast image on the display. But the luminosity of a single pixel is also decisive for the level of contrast. As already described, an OLED screen does not come close to the luminosity of an LC display. This is a succinct one difference of the two smartphone displays. However, the OLED pixels are much closer to the surface of the touchscreen, thus creating a high-contrast image - even from a wide variety of angles. In addition, the OLED pixels can light up individually. One disadvantage of the OLED display is that the light-emitting diodes are made of organic material - they are therefore more susceptible to environmental influences.
Special advantage of OLED displays
With OLED technology, smartphone manufacturers can use a curved To develop displays with rounded edges. In the case of an LC display, this would not be easy to implement.
- What was the point of Woodstock
- What is google crawling
- How are tsunami-resistant structures built?
- What is the scientific explanation for reincarnation
- Why does everyone hate Bastion in Overwatch
- Who will change your oil
- Technically, Palestine is at war with Israel
- What is the purpose of studying evolution
- What is a Boolean Algebra
- There is a free tutorial on computer simulation
- What is the squeeze rate
- How can I enjoy life
- A smart home has already been invented
- Is Baba Ramdev related to Baba Sehgal
- Who invented music videos
- How is demand related to price?
- Was Camila Cabello in a girl band
- What is the plot of Hamilton Musical
- Can defeat Superman Goku Black
- Which is the best antivirus for Windows
- What are some effective facial exercises
- Do you eat protein
- What makes a black cake black
- Which is the most economical 150cc bike
- Luck is a lie
- Is the NASDAQ now overvalued
- What are some cheap engagement ideas
- Can smartphone batteries be replaced?
- WhatsApp still works
- Would a narcissist kill your dog
- Is the iPhone compatible with Google's Daydream VR?
- Is Sakura a bad person
- Is development possible without pollution
- What is San Ramon CA known for