What is the PSI of the earth's atmosphere
Atmosphere in X-ray light
Ozone in the upper atmosphere protects us from dangerous UV radiation, but too much ozone in the air we breathe can endanger our health. Unless there is summer smog, the concentration of ozone in the lower layers of the atmosphere is harmless and largely constant. Because the processes in which ozone is formed or broken down are roughly balanced. Bromine and related chemical elements such as chlorine and iodine in the air make a significant contribution to this: Globally, they are responsible for around 50% of ozone depletion.
Ozone, in turn, is partly responsible for the formation of bromine in the atmosphere. This is because bromine is formed when bromide, which is contained in seawater, comes into contact with ozone from the air. This happens on the surface of the sea or on the surface of small droplets (fine dust) that are created when the spray is formed. Because 70% of the earth is covered by oceans, this is happening on a global scale on a large scale. Researchers at the Paul Scherrer Institute PSI have now determined the first details of this important chemical reaction. To do this, they simulated the processes on the surface of the water in a new experimental chamber and examined them using X-ray light from the Swiss SLS synchrotron light source at PSI. Theoretical calculations carried out by researchers at institutes in Switzerland, the USA and Qatar helped interpret the measurement results.
Worldwide unique research opportunities
The SLS is a large-scale research facility that generates particularly intense X-ray light, the properties of which can be precisely adapted to the needs of various experiments. The heart of the facility is a circular particle accelerator with a circumference of around 288 meters. With the X-ray light of the SLS, individual substances can be detected very precisely - even if they only exist for a very short time. , says Luca Artiglia, the responsible scientist. Markus Ammann, head of the surface chemistry research group at PSI, explains:. At the same time, they show that the experimental chamber set up by the researchers, which is unique in the world, actually enables the expected insights. Artiglia emphasizes.
Text: Paul Scherrer Institute / Paul Piwnicki
- What is the significance of copyrights
- Which career improves the world the most
- God recycles the universe
- What is an apocryphal gospel
- How profitable is Elseviers' academic publishing business
- How do I optimize user-generated content
- What is a temperature and volume chart
- What is the purpose of growing dreadlocks
- Which is the best headphone among 1450rs
- What does Aldebaran mean in astrology
- Who is the Minister of Sports of Karnataka
- How to say will in French
- What does the term psyche refer to
- Is Nigeria a rising power
- Should India be an Islamic country
- In what can plywood be recycled
- What is the extension of JDA
- Why can't neurons fire during refractory periods?
- The S P 500 Index is patented
- Can I take out multiple home loans
- Why do some people hate Buddhism
- What are the development areas in telecommunications
- What is Mocha Java
- Is Haiti still a part of France?
- How was your experience in Ahmedabad
- How do astronauts train themselves
- How poor people play golf
- Your parents still use Facebook
- What is the Chinese translation for save
- What were Bernhard Riemann's contributions to mathematics
- Enjoy helicopter tours
- The definition of normal is subjective
- What is the right age for men