Internal medicine is difficult for the stay
Even after surviving an infection with the coronavirus, many people still cannot speak of a cure. Patients with severe forms of the disease, who are in the intensive care unit and artificial ventilation, often need months before normal performance is restored. The Clinic for Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Pneumology at Marien Hospital Witten now offers special advice for those affected by the so-called "Long Covid" syndrome.
Since the coronavirus enters the body mainly via the respiratory tract and patients with severe courses often have to be ventilated, it is generally assumed that the disease only affects the lungs. "In addition to the lung disease, we often also observe neurological disorders including paralysis, as well as clinical pictures that behave in the body like an autoimmune disease," says Priv.-Doz. Dr. David Scholten, chief physician of the Clinic for Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Pneumology correct. The reason for this large number of complaints is an inflammation of the vessels caused by the coronavirus, which can affect all organs of the body. In addition, there are rather unspecific symptoms such as chronic fatigue, states of exhaustion and the resulting lack of performance.
Patients are affected to different degrees
"According to studies from China, every second person who has recovered develops symptoms that can be summarized under the term" Long Covid "," reports Dr. Scholten. These long-term consequences do not only affect older and previously ill people. "It is estimated that 70 to 80 percent of Covid-19 patients who were hospitalized in Germany suffer from various long-term consequences," said the experienced doctor. In milder courses that were not treated in hospital, almost every third patient is affected. “The long-term consequences appear in different forms, many patients hardly notice them and are not restricted in their everyday life as a result. Others are severely affected and need medical treatment, ”says the chief physician.
Orientation aid for unspecific symptoms
Most of the symptoms are very unspecific and therefore difficult to assess. Therefore, Dr. Scholten and his team have now launched a special "Long Covid" consultation. In addition to clarifying serious physical complaints such as persistent shortness of breath, neurological complaints or autoimmune phenomena, this consultation also provides information on socio-medical aspects such as rehabilitation, psychological problems and physiotherapy to increase performance. "We see ourselves as a kind of guide in order to classify and objectify the symptoms, some of which are unspecific, and to point the way to any further treatment that may be necessary," said the chief physician.
Info box: Those affected can make an appointment in the Clinic for Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Pneumology of the Marien Hospital Witten on Fon 02302 - 173 - 1371 or by email to [email protected]
- How do you survive the final weeks
- Does the sun live or not live
- Which platform only develops mobile Android apps?
- What is the Korean term for project
- Have you ever been treated like a king?
- How hot is the sun
- How do I find local business directories
- How important is emotional stability for success
- What is the daily sale of inventory
- What does the Telugu Gundello mean
- What is a creative strategist
- Why does beta decay occur
- How do you develop Farfetchd?
- Muslims are allowed to love
- Is favicon important for a website
- What is your definition of false love
- Are Wikipedia administrators biased towards new users
- How many colors does PNG use
- What is a quantization level
- Who is responsible for the Steele dossier?
- Who was the Roman goddess of peace
- Which artist sang the song Counting Stars
- Howard Stern has become gentle and kind
- Companies are still using IRIX
- Why is Microsoft Word not opening
- Why is Guam so strategic
- How is fashion doing
- What is application of molecular orbital theory
- What is a pumpkin flute
- Is there a limit to God's mercy
- Smoking is prohibited in Lebanon
- Does the ion drive work on Earth?
- How does Pho cure a hangover