Can a therapist prescribe anxiety medication
Care of depressed patients in the family doctor's practice
Friday October 27, 2017
Cologne - There are still deficits in the care of depressed patients in the family doctor's practice. Assuming the self-reported complaints in a patient questionnaire (Depression Screening Questionnaire), around 60 percent of patients with depression are not treated with antidepressants and / or psychotherapy in accordance with the guidelines.
In cases in which a depressive disorder is recognized, general practitioner patients are more likely to receive medication than psychotherapy. Sebastian Trautmann and Katja Beesdo-Baum from the Institute for Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy at the Technical University of Dresden present these results of an epidemiological cross-sectional study in the current edition of Deutsches Ärzteblatt (Dtsch Arztebl Int 2017; 114: 721-28).
With a reference date survey in six regions of Germany, the questionnaire information from 253 doctors and from 3,563 randomly selected patients were evaluated with regard to the diagnosis and treatment of depression.
If GPs diagnose a depressive disorder, they treat the patient themselves in about 80 percent of the cases. A good third of the patients are prescribed antidepressants by the doctor, regardless of the severity of the depression. This shows, the authors write, that the preference suggested in the guidelines for psychotherapeutic over drug interventions in mild depression has not yet been widely implemented in routine care.
Against this background, the authors emphasize the need to provide general practitioners with more differentiated skills for diagnosis and indication in their training and further education. A Disease Management Program (DMP) for depression could help reduce the existing undersupply. The most accurate possible diagnosis of depressive disorders by the family doctor is essential so that he can, in a central role as gatekeeper, initiate the necessary treatments by referral. © tg / aerzteblatt.de
Find out every day (Monday to Friday) by e-mail about current events in health policy and medicine. Order the free newsletter of the Deutsches Ärzteblatt.
Always be up to date without chasing after information: The daily updated newsletter
- Why do golfers wear long pants?
- What are some criticisms of social justice
- What is an example of sponge animals
- What are some examples of xerophytic plants
- What is domain test
- Should we have compulsory sex education
- What do car dealers think of as having good credit
- What do entrepreneurs think, what engineers do
- Is the undertaker a ghost or not
- What are some examples of animal culture
- Check auditors every transaction
- When does the subway come to Auckland
- How big can 1 nuclear weapon destroy
- Is affirmation bias a heuristic
- Is magnesium soluble in acetic acid
- Where can I sell scorpion poison
- How does UberEATS work
- What is a Custom Audience for Facebook Ads
- The local yeast runs off
- Is fashion a blessing or a curse
- What is a project sponsor
- Why was the Security Council veto created
- Can I audition for Jellyfish Entertainment online?
- BIG BOSS 11 COMPETITORS
- What is an example of a setback
- What are whiteboards made of
- How photo takes place
- Which programs is installed by sudo apt
- Why is weight a vector quantity
- What is the purpose of dry shampoo
- Knowledge sharing is a skill
- What is langar