How is the background lighting different from the key lighting?
The ThinkLight is the keyboard lighting of the ThinkPads and is integrated in many ThinkPads since the i-series. The keyboard is illuminated by means of an LED above the display. It is switched on and off with the key combination
From generation T430, backlit keyboards were also available. The backlight was operated in alternation with the ThinkLight by the new combination FN + space bar. The FN key is easy to find because it is on the outside, and the space bar is also easy to find. The advantage of this new combination is that you can now switch on the ThinkLight or Backlight with one hand. Backlit and ThinkLight can be activated independently of the display operation or the operating system.
Fn-spacebar switches each time you press it:
- ThinkLight - Backlit - ThinkLight + Backlit - all off
From generation T440 the ThinkLight was omitted. Instead, pressing the Fn-Space key combination switched the backlit to different brightness levels:
- weak brightness - strong brightness - off
- If the key combination Fn-Space does not work, it may be because the left Ctrl key has been swapped with the Fn key in the UEFI. In this case press the key combination Ctrl-Spacebar.
- If only the key outlines are visible on backlit keyboards, but not the characters on the keys, then the keyboard has been provided with key stickers. This often occurs when buying "refurbished" equipment used and leasing returns from specialized dealers. Here, foreign-language keyboards are relabeled to the German keyboard layout.
Most ThinkPads have a white ThinkLight, but some have other colors (yellowish-orange or bluish). There are also ThinkPads that do not have a ThinkLight, such as the X100e, R40e and other models with the suffix "e" as well as the L and SL series and some models of the E series.
Color of the ThinkLights (list incomplete):
|A series||R series||T series||X series||Z series||E / S series||W series|
|yellowish||R50, R51, R52, R60, R61 15.4 ", R500||X40, X41||Z60t, Z61m, Z61t|
|White:||A20, A21, A22, A30, A31||R30, R400, R61 14.1 "||T23, T40, T41, T42, T43, T60, T400, T400s, T500, T410, T410s, T510, T420, T420s, T520, T430, T430s, T430u, T530||X20, X21, X30, X31, X32, X60, X61, X200, X201, X220, X230||E220s, E420s, S430||W500, W510, W520, W530|
The ThinkLight can also be controlled by the software, e.g. flashing on incoming email (for Outlook: Thinkvantage) or directly at the push of a button (e.g. ACPI plug-in for NHC or similar).
Applications for the ThinkLight
The hotkey features (e.g. 3.51.x) are required for applications, among others. The virtfn_0.dll file must exist under C: \ Program Files \ Lenovo \ HOTKEY. Newer Hotkey Features versions no longer contain this DLL.
Applications for backlit keyboards
For new ThinkPad generations without ThinkLight, but with a backlit keyboard:
- How do you imagine yourself to be influential
- Why do economists always disagree?
- Which are examples of valid variable names
- What part of the euglena is nutritious
- Which yoga posture reverses aging
- Why do we need trees
- How does hair conditioner work
- How should I download videos from eHow
- Which one should I choose love or dreams
- Will conservatives and liberals ever get along?
- Which are the best African safari companies
- What are the ethical questions about prostitution
- Do you think we all deserve happiness
- Are related to the Vietnamese and Muong
- What famous people are from Nepal
- How did the collision theory come about
- Are MOOC certificates worth the money spent?
- What killed WCW
- Probably the worst game out there is FIFA 14
- Isn't Leo a selfish zodiac sign
- Was Hitler castrated Why or why not
- Which is the international airport in Socotra
- How many PCs are there in the world
- What is your favorite passage from Kafka
- When is someone a social media influencer?
- Which is the best-selling mini laptop
- How can the impact be measured qualitatively
- What are the best VOIP SDK solutions
- How does art help communication
- Eunuchs live longer than women
- How is the Libras algorithm different from Bitcoin
- Can a tarantula eat an opossum
- Why did Tony develop Stubblebine Lift
- How can I download videos from Xyzcomics