Why do mosquitoes have 47 teeth
Bloodsuckers: How mosquitoes actually find us
When mosquitoes are hungry - or need protein for their eggs - they usually find their way to a warm-blooded victim. Research has long been concerned with what exactly leads insects to involuntary donors: Is it the light under which the food source is located? Or their smell? In fact, the animals rely on three different signals to take their route to bloodletting, write Floris van Breugel from the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena and Co in "Current Biology" - and the carbon dioxide that we exhale plays a major role in this: Even at a distance of 50 meters from the exhale, the mosquitoes can perceive carbon dioxide molecules and follow this trail, as the group has observed experimentally.
Once they have reached a radius of 5 to 15 meters around their prey, they rely on visual impressions such as movements or outlines. Sighting is made easier for them by light, but the lighting is ultimately irrelevant to whether they really stab. Because on the last meter they use heat sensors with which the insects perceive the radiation from the body and steer precisely towards areas of the skin that are particularly well-perfused with blood. The researchers cannot recommend avoiding these three signals because we naturally emit carbon dioxide when we breathe. If we are in a group of people, then we might be lucky. Because mosquitoes prefer people who have a rather monotonous bacterial colonization on the skin. Especially when Staphylococcus- Species dominate, men and women become more attractive to the animals - a species-rich skin flora, on the other hand, tends to deter them.
This article is included in Spectrum - The Week, 29/2015
Nevertheless, according to van Breugel, you are not completely defenseless, even if you don't want to use mosquito repellants. Because the best tactic is to confuse the animals - you just have to ask your loved ones to wear a contrasting shirt. This diverts the mosquito's visual attention.
- What recording artists sang songs about Florida
- How's the night life in Columbia MD
- Who wrote the devil's bible?
- Which colleges in Dhaka have hostels
- What is the NB parameter in pipe design
- Why are statistics important to psychology
- MDI HR is worth it
- Did Donald Trump love his former wives
- Yelp is big in other countries
- How do I find a website
- How good is KIET CSE
- What is the best tab under 10k
- Color can be added to metals
- What was Google's slogan
- Are option Greeks the same in all stock exchanges
- What will you do if Trump wins
- Why are experts wrong when it comes to Trump
- What is a quantization level
- Blackmail between lawyers is common
- How is a smiley created
- What is Dashlane used for?
- What are Jquery Ajax JSON and Bootstrap
- What is the difference between scrap
- Trump has kept what the campaign promises