Why do you love programming coding
Why should women learn to code?
Nowadays, well-trained developers can choose from a wealth of job offers and, in addition to extremely good pay, enjoy a high degree of flexibility in the organization of their everyday work. It is all the more astonishing that up to now it has mainly been men who jump on this career path. In the US by 2025, only one in five jobs in the IT industry will be held by women. According to a Bitkom survey, the proportion of women in the IT industry among our neighbors in Germany is less than 24%, and in Austria it doesn't look any better. But the problem is by no means the demand for female skilled workers, because it is higher than ever before.
Why are women so sought after in technology right now?
More women in management positions lead to higher income.In a survey of 22,000 tech companies around the world, researchers at the Peterson Institute for International Economics found that gender diversity is indeed profitable for companies. The survey shows that moving from an all-male management level to at least 30% women led to a 15% increase in profitability.
Femtech is the growth market of the future. In fact, there is a huge market lacking in technical innovations. This sector includes fertility solutions, period tracking apps, pregnancy and nursing care, women's sexual wellbeing, and reproductive health care. Do you really want to leave these areas to men?
Women are also the most profitable target group for technology companies.In multi-person households, women are currently making 80% of purchasing decisions. Accordingly, all technical products and processes should be checked for their attractiveness for users. Even better if they were developed by women.
As a result of these developments, "The state of the European Tech - Survey 2018" shows that 89% of all decision-makers in the European tech industry are convinced that more gender diversity increases company performance.
This trend is particularly true for female developers, because it was only in 2016 that a study on the popular software hosting platform Github showed that women have better programming skills. For example, with 25% of female programmers, 100% of the suggested solutions to a problem posed were adopted, while this rate was only 13% for men. But when we talk about skills in this context, what do we actually mean?
The most important programming skills
To be a developer means at least mastering one programming language. There's no way around it. In addition, the following 5 skills can be found time and again in numerous specialist magazines, on blogs and, last but not least, in the keynotes of the big star developers as the basis for a successful career path:
- Logical thinking: Finding out which error or faulty line of code led to a problem in a project is sometimes intuitive, but often a question of logic. If you don't see your strengths here - no problem, because logical thinking can be trained.
- The eye for detail: Understanding command interconnectivity, general awareness, and linguistic precision are extremely important parts of a coder's toolkit. One way to keep track of things here is to have a tight organization. Always create a project plan that you can use to assess, review and improve your work and, most importantly, don't be too hard on yourself if you make mistakes.
- Abstract imagination: Since the written code and what it produces can never be physically observed and measured, successful coders must have a strong abstract imagination. This also includes the ability to think about a topic, an object or a project on several levels at the same time. The ability to match various icons, commands, and processes that run automatically with those that you add manually. All of this is an important, often overlooked part of coding.
- Interdisciplinary understanding: Knowing a technology inside out is great, but real-world problems can never be solved with a single technology. Even if you're hired as a specialist, you need to know how your lines of code interact with the other software, hardware, and network that make up the application's ecosystem.
- Patience: You write a code, are full of confidence, double-check everything and still it doesn't work. This is exactly what happens all the time in the world of programming and with all the frustration you must never forget - with every problem you solve, you will become a better developer.
These top developers did it
Asserting yourself as a woman in a male domain is not an easy undertaking. If you ever need inspiration on your way to becoming a developer, you should follow these successful women, subscribe to them or bookmark them:
Jade Raymond: After graduating in computer science, she started her career as a programmer at Sony, where she helped found Sony Online's first research and development group. She then went on to become executive producer and co-creator of the Assassin's Creed franchise, becoming a star in the game developer scene. Raymond then worked at Electronic Arts, where she was in charge of EA's Motive Studio, PopCap Studio and Star Wars. She has been with Google since 2018.
Laura Medalia is also known as @codergirl_ and works as an iOS software engineer at a health start-up in New York. She describes herself as a tech influencer for women and discusses on her channels how she was able to combine her love of programming with her penchant for fashion. She wants to bring the magic of programming closer to younger generations in particular and show how much influence a woman in technology can have on the world.
Sara Haider is an Android engineer, advocate for women in tech, and advisor to startups. She is one of the top 10 women in Silicon Valley and is known for her work on Twitter, Vine, Secret, and Periscope. Together with her group “Women in Engineering”, she has been significantly involved in the non-profit organization Girls Who Code since 2012. The goal of the organization is to close the gender gap in technology and to change people's perceptions of what a programmer looks like and what he does.
Tracy Chou is the best example of how well women can handle a wide variety of programming tasks. With a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a master's degree in computer science, she's a big name in the programming world. Tracy has worked with and for the best tech companies in the world like Pinterest, Quora, Rocket Fuel Inc., Google and Facebook. Since 2015, she has been part of the United States Digital Service, a consortium of technology experts trying to make government in the United States more efficient.
But there are also female programmers in Austria who not only inspire, but also make a difference.
Funding and training in Austria
Woman and Code is by no means the only support for women in technical professions. In Austria there are already several measures, projects and funding opportunities for women and girls that are specifically aimed at overcoming barriers to access to scientific and technical training and professions.
The mein Technik platform is a central online medium that prepares it in an appealing and clear manner. From workshops, excursions and competitions to advice centers, mentor programs and career information days to teaching materials, everything is listed here. The Frauen in die Technik association not only organizes regular information days, but also advises on funding and provides coaching in special cases.
Talent Garden, Europe's leading coworking network, cooperates with the community the female factor. The partnership between Talent Garden and the female factor gives its members access to mentors and peer-to-peer mastermind groups across Europe. Masterclasses and events are also offered. All of these offers generally concern women in technology.
Talent Garden, Europe's leading coworking and innovation network, is also trying to close the gender gap in the digital working world with intensive and immersive online courses as part of the Talent Garden Innovation School:
Discover thatBusiness Data Analysis Online Program or thatCodeMaster Online Bootcamp.
That was far from all
Are you interested? Then you should check out this advanced one Reading tips definitely not to be missed:
Have fun while reading!
- Might a young teenager be schizophrenic
- An MRI with no contrast is accurate
- What are the functions of insect legs
- How is a website like Airbnb created
- Who is Shri Ram Nath Kovind
- Which country names begin with NA
- Is a blockchain a directed acyclic graph
- What is your mother tongue story
- What do New Yorkers hate most?
- How do I apply to Axilor Ventures
- Is there childish wisdom
- Is electricity life
- What kind of fish is considered a carnivore
- What is the right age for men
- What does the Thai word Visan mean?
- What was Chandragupta Maurya known for?
- How do strapless bras work
- Is Rishikesh good for a couple
- Who is a person who owes money
- Should I learn the Ionic framework
- Can i buy an R15
- Chronic kidney disease may cause joint pain
- Gary Vaynerchuck is a motivational speaker
- What should a water well pressure be