Which root beers are caffeine-free
List of foods and drinks that contain caffeine
While caffeine can be used in a wide variety of foods and beverages, it is obtained from a few major sources. These sources include tea leaves, cocoa beans that are used to make chocolate, kola nuts, and coffee beans. The most common foods and drinks that contain caffeine include tea, chocolate, soft drinks, coffee, and ice cream.Many people don't know that certain types of ice cream, including chocolate and coffee, contain caffeine. (Image: Jupiterimages / liquidlibrary / Getty Images)
Coffee drinksCup of coffee (Image: LennartK / iStock / Getty Images)
The most commonly consumed form of caffeine is coffee. According to MedlinePlus, an 8 ounce cup of coffee contains about 80 milligrams of caffeine. However, the serving size and source of the coffee can significantly affect the caffeine content. The Center for Science in the Public Interest notes that while a 20-ounce coffee of one brand contains 436 milligrams of caffeine, a serving of another brand contains only 133 milligrams. Decaffeinated coffee still contains a small amount of caffeine, which ranges from 2 to 25 milligrams depending on the serving size.
Soft drinksWoman drinks Coke from glass (Image: George Doyle / Stockbyte / Getty Images)
Soft drinks and diet soft drinks can both contain significant amounts of caffeine. According to the CSPI, 12-ounce soft drinks contain between 23 and 69 milligrams of caffeine, depending on the brand. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has set an upper limit of 71 milligrams of caffeine for 12-ounce soft drinks. Certain types of soft drinks, such as root beer and ginger ale, can be caffeine-free.
Tea brewsPot and cups filled with green tea (Image: TongRo Images / TongRo Images / Getty Images)
Some brewed teas, especially black tea and green tea, contain some caffeine. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture database, an 8-ounce cup of black tea contains 47 milligrams of caffeine. According to the Energy Fiend website, a mug of 8 ounces of green tea contains 25 milligrams of caffeine. Instant tea contains about 26 milligrams of caffeine per 8-ounce cup.
Chocolate barBoy eats an oversized candy bar (Image: Jupiterimages / BananaStock / Getty Images)
Because cocoa beans are used to make chocolate, chocolate bars can be high in caffeine. The higher the cocoa content, the more caffeine there will be. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 162 grams of chocolate bars with 45 to 59 percent cocoa solids make 70 milligrams of caffeine, an amount higher than that of soft drinks.
iceTwo sundaes (Image: Dave King / Dorling Kindersley RF / Getty Images)
Certain types of ice cream contain caffeine when they use chocolate or coffee as an ingredient. Most ice creams that contain caffeine are between 10 and 45 milligrams per 4-ounce serving. One brand of high-caffeinated ice cream contains 125 milligrams per 4-ounce serving, and some brands of chocolate ice cream contain less than 1 milligram of caffeine per serving.
- Which types of cancer are easiest to test for
- When will IIMs begin the MBA degree?
- Is a zero matrix a square matrix
- Why do people make Gandhi a god
- Who are the Klout employees at Quora
- Why is my WhatsApp status blurry
- What are the requirements for the learning simulation
- Is Moana something like trolls
- What is a BTech course
- How does scampi taste
- Should I stop eating cheese?
- How to cut a dog's toenails
- Walking increases creativity
- Would working at Google prepare for entrepreneurship
- What is the leeway for a content writer
- How has seed funding changed since AngelGate
- What are Masons hiding
- Why is the NASAs X43 unmanned
- Why use the Brayton cycle
- How do I reinstall a sound card
- How do we know that Jesus was a Jew?
- Apart from drugs, what makes you addicted
- What are the topics of the company secretary
- Why do you think school is important
- How do I prepare for VITEEE
- What irritates mouth ulcers
- How should I learn web development
- What is lavender blue essential oil
- When and why was pole dance invented
- What do you like most about Jamshedpur
- Which picture sums up Pakistan in a nutshell?
- Why are foxes better than wolves
- Bitcoin is an organized scam